Tuesday, July 28, 2009

In The Blink of an Eye

On July 16th I was on my way back from a town in Southern Namibia called Keetmanshoop. I had delivered some building materials for a construction team that was scheduled to arrive on the 17th. The town of Keetmanshoop is 580 kilometers (360 miles) from the town of Okahandja where we are living.
The vehicle I was driving is a Hyundai Bakkie. It is old and ready to be decommissioned but it is the only work truck we have that could haul all the material that was needed for the team that was coming.
On the way back the bakkie started to overheat. I had to stop every 80-90 kilometers to allow it to cool off. I waited about 30 minutes before I could add water to the radiator and then get back on the road.
I was about 300 kilometers out of Keetmanshoop and the bakkie began overheating again so I saw an area up ahead where I could pull off and wait for the engine to cool. I put on my turn signal and began to break and pull off the road. I do not know what happened but the brake pedal went all the way to the floor and the truck did not stop. I began pumping the breaks and then I was going into a slide. I was driving at 80 kilometers and hour (50 miles per hour) and I was sliding sideways down the two lane highway. As I was fighting to keep the bakkie from flipping and trying to straighten out the vehicle a car was coming up behind me. Because I had signaled to turn off the road the car had begun to accelerate to pass me. Well he and I got quite a surprise.
I was sliding sideways and he was coming right at me going over 120 kilometers and hour (75 miles per hour). I was about to block both lanes of traffic but somehow the other car passed by me with just inches to spare. I finally came to a stop and caught my breath and then slowly drove the bakkie off the road.
I realized that in a matter of a few seconds I almost died. Had the other car not reacted so quickly I would have been hit on the driver’s side of the vehicle. What I also realize is that God was with me the whole time. At no time was I afraid. It was not until the next day that I realized how close to death I had actually come.
I had my cell phone and I was able to call for help. I waited 3 ½ hours but during that time I prayed and thanked God for being with me. As the sun set and the night took over I saw the stars so clearly and again felt His presence with me.
I am reminded that time is not in my hands and I do not know when my time will be up. I have to live each day as though it is my last and make every effort to live for Him each day. I know that I was spared because He is not done with me and because so many of you are praying for us. Thank you for praying and please do not stop.

No comments: