Friday, March 29, 2013

One Testimony

You can’t beat a real life testimony. When you are asked to give a testimony in a court setting, it is because you saw or heard or experienced something of significance. To date 47 Namibian youth have completed the YDM (Youth Discipleship & Mentoring) Program and according to our research 32 are currently employed. That alone is remarkable!


There are other skills training programs in Namibia, but none that we know of that are fully sponsored and accept students without a grade 10 satisfactory completion certificate. The majority of our students have not completed grade 10 and therefore have little hope of finding any viable employment except perhaps housecleaning (girls) or hauling cement (boys). The government does not offer continuing education for free like other countries. So without finances .... no skills .... insufficient education.... where can these young people turn?

Here is David’s story. He is one of the few who has completed grade 12 and even a little beyond, but got sidetraked. Read on.

David Malgas age 22, describes his past life as a “party life.” Alcohol was his driving force. He felt defeated, without work skills and no hope for further education, until he heard about the YDM program. I remember his words to us during the interview. “I am very motivated... I am a very hard worker.” Not only did David shine in the program, but we hired him when he completed training.


One day, when business was slow David approached me with an idea. He said, “Mrs. D. if we set up a table on the side of the street next week Friday, we can sell burgers and chips. I know we can do a good business.” He explained to me that payday was coming up and people travel and shop and need a quick lunch which we can provide. So, we tried it the following week – David set up a table and his idea proved brilliant – we made a good side business. We have continued that plan each month end and have found it very successful.


Now he is our head waiter – supervisor, handling banking, record keeping, orders and vendor invoices and training new staff. All of this in only one year of employment at the cafe. His smile says it all!

We asked David to answer a few questions for our blog followers.

Question: What motivated you to make a decision to follow Christ?


Answer: It was the way I lived. Deep down I just knew that the way I was living was not right. Also there was a deeper urge to make something of my life because there was an inner voice saying there was more to life than just carelessness.

Question: How has your life changed since making that decision?

Answer: It has changed in a lot of ways as a matter of fact. I cannot describe it in words. I have never for once regretted the fact that I chose Jesus. He has changed me to be a better person, my surroundings and like it says in Jeremiah 11:29 “...He has given me a hopeful future.”


Question: What goals do you have for your future?

Answer: I must say that after having carefully thought about where I came from and what I am at this state, it looks rather exciting for starters. I want to keep following the Good Lord, although I do not see myself as a pastor. I know that I have been anointed for business and I pray and hope that I would be able to one day go and study in the field of business. There is a saying: “One doesn’t know who you are or what you want if you do not know what you WERE or where you are from.” But, I, by the grace of God have found that and I am able to move forward and like I said business is my passion, and would like to practise business with integrity someday.


We plan to help David and others to make those goals a reality.  Through contributions of faithful partners David is now on a journey of success and fullfilled dreams.  Other young Namibians are moving forward as well.  Visit our blog often for more stories.




No comments: