Monday, March 9, 2009

God at Work

About two weeks ago I posted a blog about being troubled how to deal with some workers who had stolen some stuff. The incident happened on a Monday and I told the three involved that I wanted them to go home and pray and think about what they did. I also told them they needed to come to work the next morning and tell me why I should not fire them for what they did.

That Monday night I was so troubled in my spirit that I could not sleep. I called a friend in the states to ask for prayer and to just listen. That was a huge help and I knew that I would be covered with prayer. I also spoke to a couple of people here to get some counsel on how to proceed.

After much thought and prayer I felt that I should not fire the three workers but I needed them to understand that stealing is wrong. It was decided that they would not be able to work the rest of the week and that they would not be paid for the four days they were not working.

When I showed up at the job site on Tuesday morning the workers were waiting for me. I took them aside and listened to what they had to say and why they should not be fired. They genuinely were sorry for what they did. I then told them what the consequences of their actions would be. They accepted the discpline and agreed that it was more than fair.

What happened next was a total God moment. The foreman of the jobsite said that God woke him up in the middle of the night with a word for all the workers on the job site. We then read the word to all the workers and the foreman shared with them about God. I was just sitting there taking it all in and was praising God for how He was working in these men and how He used the foreman to speak into the lives of the workers.

God has also opened the door for me to start a bible study with the three workers. We have met the last two Saturdays and I have to say that I am learning as much as these men are learning. I do not know where this road will lead or where it will end but I am confident that God is in control.

I am constantly learning that when we are open to what God wants to do through us that there is nothing that we cannot do. I have been humbled more than I thought possible since we have been here and I am sure that I will be humbled much more before we are called home.

Thank you to all who are praying for us. Your prayers are making a difference in our lives and in the lives of those we have been called to serve.

No comments: