Saturday, April 30, 2011

Feeling Their Pain

We have just completed week nine of the training program with our nine students and it has been an incredible time. The best part of ministry is getting to work with His children. Each day is a gift and a new opportunity to share the love of Christ with them.

Over the last nine weeks we have developed a place of safety. It is because of that sense of security that many of these young people have openned their hearts, and some for the first time in a long time, and have shared some very personal stuff.

In the last nine weeks we have laughed with them and we have cried with them. For me, I think I get to experience a little piece of what our Father in heaven feels. Sometimes I ask how He can handle it and I know that I will never understand the full depth of His love until I am with Him in heaven.

This past week, some news from two of the students affected us all. One had their home broken into and had most of their belongings stolen. They have moved out of that place because they do not feel safe there anymore and are staying with another family member until they find a new place. Another student was beaten by the person who claimed to love her and then was then kicked out of the house with her child. She came to devotions crying.

We stopped and took time to talk with and pray for them. We thank God for providing a safe place for them to open up and share. We are doing what we can to help by providing food, looking for new places they can live, praying for and just loving them.

Both of these students are still deciding if they want to give their lives to Christ. Both have begun to go to church with other students who already attend churches in the community. Even though they have not said it out loud to me I know both are asking how God can allow such terrible things to happen. Both need your prayers.

As we talked through what has happened, the students got to share how they are feeling. It is wonderful to see those who already believe come alongside their classmates and show them love as well as reassure them of God's love. As painful as these things are to deal with they are opportunities for us to experience God in a real and personal way. I pray that God will help us to love them and to help them love themselves so that they can experience the love of God.

As we end this week I deal with my own pain. Today, the 30th of April, would have been my mom's 63rd birthday. I find it hard to believe it has been almost nine years since she went home to be with God. I sat and looked at her picture I keep in my Bible and felt the pain of losing her fresh in my mind and in my heart, but I feel joy knowing she is with her loving Father in heaven. I miss her so much and I look forward to the day we will be reunited.

Please pray for the students (Adam, David, Jeneritha, Jessica, Katrina, Selvia, Stella, Sylvia and Victory) and pray for us.

No comments: